Re: 640 MB MOD's, sector-size 2048 bytes

Harvey Fishman (fishman@panix.com)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 23:09:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 11 Oct 1997, ing. George A. van Dorth wrote:

> Hi, out there
>
> I happen to have a M2513A MOD-drive from Fujitsu. I manage to format a
> 640MB disk under Win95 but I can't read it under Linux-2.0.30. Durring
> mounting it keeps on telling me that it can't handle a sector size of
> 2048 bytes which happen to be the format of this type of disk. I can
> mount without any problem a 230MB disk in the same drive.
>
> Is there someone out there with a solution for my problem.

Well one solution that may not really be acceptable is that there are 540MB
media available for that drive with 512 byte sectors rather than the 2048.
The 230 MB media are only available with 512 byte sectors. Since the MO
media use a form of hard sectoring, you cannot really reformat with a
different sector size as you can with fully magnetic media.

Harvey

Harvey Fishman |
fishman@panix.com | A little heresy is good for the soul.
718-258-7276 |