Re: OFFTOPIC Most compatible binary w x86/iBCS

Richard Henderson (rth@dot.cygnus.com)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:52:21 -0700

On Mon, Oct 13, 1997 at 04:09:22PM -0400, David S. Miller wrote:
> > Digital UNIX and
> I also believe there was/is work on going on this one.
>
> Initially the Alpha port ran static OSF/1 binaries. Later if you had
> the shared libs the ability to run shared binaries existed as well, I
> think all this still works.

Yep. There are apparently some argv problems with #! scripts running
DU binaries, but otherwise things work fine.

> >SGI IRIX.
> Very Doubtful, But I'd be glad to be proven wrong, again.
>
> I made enough work while I was at SGI that I could run 32-bit MIPS
> IRIX binaries of all the GNU compilation tools, GNU make, and bash.

I understand it's pretty good now. Miguel has brought the IRIX
Indy X server up under Linux.

r~