Re: kernel 2.0.30 hangs with looped affs

Hans-Joachim Widmaier (hjwidmai@foxboro.com)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 13:42:18 +0200

Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat@stekt.oulu.fi> wrote:
> I found a 100% repeatable way to hang kernel 2.0.30 and affs (Amiga Fast
> Filesystem).
>
> First, I have Amiga floppy image (say image.adf). Then I type
>
> losetup /dev/loop0 image.adf
> mount -t affs /dev/loop0 /mnt
>
> The mount never returns.
> [...]
> Is this a well known problem (as it seems to be very easy to reproduce), or
> should I give more information (and what)?

It's not known, at least not to me. I know that you cannot
mount an image that is _on_ an affs partition via loopback.
(Due to the lack of a bmap() in affs). But you should be able
to mount an affs image that is on some other partition fine.
The affs in the 2.1.xx kernel has several bug fixes and
other improvements; alas, it's not that simple to bring the
'stable' version up to that (I did this around 2.1.3x, but
it hasn't made it into 2.0.xx).

> Btw, mount -t affs image.adf /mnt -o loop works fine.

Since I don't know the difference between the two methods
as far as the fs is concerned, I can't comment.

Hopefully, I will have a new affs within the next, say 10, days.
Then I could make another effort to update the 2.0 version, too.

--
Hans-Joachim Widmaier