PLEASE READ: Re: linux-kernel purge

Todd Derr (infidel+@pitt.edu)
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 13:17:17 -0400 (EDT)

ADAM Sulmicki <adam@cfar.umd.edu> writes:
> hmm I see yet another linux-kernel purge has been done.. and this time
> even linus has not been spared <g> [guilty until proven not to be ?

Hello,

I am the list owner for linux-kernel and linux-kernel-digest.

The problem that was causing all the duplicated mail was that
some luser was feeding back kernel-digest to the kernel list submission
address, obviously creating a very nasty feedback loop.

I spoke with David, and he says he doesn't know what happened
to the linux-kernel list. It did get truncated to zero-length at some
point, though, and we decided not to try to restore it. I sent out a
posting to comp.os.linux.announce asking people to resubscribe; if you
are reading this, please spread the word to anyone who should be on
this list. linux-kernel was the only list affected, -digest and all
of the other lists are fine.

> possible to just ban the *.hclt.com domain instead of nuke 10'000+ users ?

10000+ users is quite an exaggeration. there are (were) really ~2500
users on the kernel list, and ~1000 more on the digest list who were
not affected.

todd (owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu)