Re: FAT32 Problem

Noel Maddy (ncm@biostat.hfh.edu)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:56:09 -0500

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Giuseppe Catastini wrote:

[FIPS can't split a FAT32 partition]

> Giuseppe,
>
> As far as I know, the only way to repartition a FAT32 partition is to use
> the commercial program Partition Magic version 3.x. Partition Magic can
> also convert a FAT32 partition to FAT16. See www.powerquest.com for more
> details. Hopefully FIPS will have this capability soon.
>
> Bob

But beware the draconian licensing! The license for Partition Magic
states that once you have used the licensed copy on one machine, you
must not use it on any other machine until you have destroyed or sold
the original machine (of course, making sure that it's no longer
installed). Talk about single-use, throw-away software!

I'm not saying you shouldn't use Partition Magic, just that you should
be aware of this ridiculous license. I bought it because I got myself
into a situation where I had to split an NTFS and didn't want to spend
the time backing up and restoring. But I was hoping this would be an
investment in a tool that would be useful for my support work. Fat
chance :(

--
"Some Internet functionality may require Internet access..."
                                      - Microsoft Office 97 requirements