Re: CD Filesystem still broken!

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:59:34 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > OK, I have looked into this and here is what I found...
>

> > Next, I checked the video game CD. No problems, both DOS and Linux
> > listed the exact same files. I am glad to report, therefore, that I was
> > completely unable to reproduce the problem you describe. Perhaps you
> > could be so kind as to substantiate your bug reports in the future with
> > conclusive evidence demonstrating the problem. I could have used my
> > time doing something more productive after all...
> >
> > -Erik
>
> Well, Erik, I didn't put a gun to your head and prevent you from "..doing
> something more productive..". If you want proof the problem exists, go
> out and buy the O'Reilly Tcl/Tk book and try reading the accompanying CD
> (see my followup message of last evening).
>
> To the extent that I should have used more than one CD to evaluate this
> symptom, I plead guilty. Nonetheless, I could do without your
> condescending reply. When a given symptom occurs 100% of the time under
> 2.1.x kernels and 0% under 2.0.x kernels, how much more substantiation
> would you like?

At least I looked into the problem for you in my spare time...

I appologize for the condescending reply. I was tired, and I didn't get
done what I had really wanted to get done last night. As for as
substantiation, It would be really nice if you were to do the same thing I
did, i.e load the CD under some alternative OS, get a complete directory
listing, and then load up Linux and get a complete directory listing, then
massage the two directory listings so they are in the same format, and
then run diff to get a complete list of all missing files, and what
their file names are. Basically, it would be nice to see the problem so
we can do something about it, look for patterns in the directory listing,
check out the source code for things that could cause the problem, etc...
The CDs I tested don't have a problem, therefore I can't investigate the
problem without you doing the leg work, since I have no intention of
going and buying some book on Tcl just to get a (possibly broken) CD so I
can check out the problem.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/