Re: Linux 2.0 and 2.1 stability..

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 18:13:01 +0000 (GMT)

On 31 Oct 1997, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > 3) New filesystems -- HFS, NTFS
> > 4) The "privs" root-splitting part of posix.1e
> Your 3 and 4 is nearly 100% 2.3 stuff, sorry. ACLs in ext2 would be nice,
> but I think the patch is still too alpha to use in 2.2

Well, clearly, but we're still on 2.1 not 2.2 ;-)

The sooner patches like the above are put into 2.1, the sooner the bugs
will get ironed out, and then we'll actually have some selling points for
2.2

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick but I interpreted Linus' recent
message as saying "right let's lob in a stack of cool new features, and
quickly, because there's a code freeze coming up...."

Cheers
Chris