Re: Linux 2.0 and 2.1 stability..

Pete Harlan (harlan@mymenus.com)
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 17:39:33 -0600 (CST)

Martin wrote:
> > Pete Harlan wrote:
> > > (For example, I'm wondering if the raw disk access that was slated for
> > > 2.2 has, in fact, made the cut. It's one of those features that DB
> > > Vendors like to list as a reason why they don't want to port.
> > > (Informix very recently brought this up.))
>
> Let me ask the same question as Dossy: Did Informix bring this up in
> the public? If so, what is the reference?

with "subscribe linux-informix" as the body. The list consists of
people interested in the port, whether users or Informix developers.
Informix decision makers are part of the process, though they don't
participate much. The lack of raw I/O came up as a performance
penalty.

A linux-kernel message from Dave Miller dated May 8, 1997 said:

> We do not have RAW I/O in Linux as of now, it is being worked on and
> will go in for 2.2.0 now let's stop this thread as it does nothing.

so I figured this would be a moot issue. But plans being plans, I
don't know if it's still in the works.

Sorry for posting this to the list; I replied privately to Dossy, but
apparently more people are interested.

--
Pete Harlan
harlan@mymenus.com

(It sounds like the biggest obstacle for the port, besides too many Honchos not understanding what Linux is, is that Informix's latest products depend on third-party tools, tools that would also need to be ported but that aren't under Informix's [direct] control.)