Re: Linux on Merced

Ralf Baechle (ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de)
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 13:13:09 +0100

On Fri, Oct 31, 1997 at 10:36:55PM +0100, Andre Derrick Balsa wrote:
> - MIPS. Good: partial Linux port available. Bad: tell me where I can buy
> a MIPS PCI motherboard, or even a complete CPU under $10K?

- Check out the SNI RM200. The machine is equipped with PCI and EISA
slots and has everything a normal machine needs onboard. Last time
I checked the price was competitive with SNI's similar equiped ia32
machines.
- A second hand Indy still makes a very nice video toy.
- A R5000 family CPU can be as low as $29, far cheaper than a Pentium.
- Linux/MIPS is currently primarily used in embedded devices and competing
with per copy licensed operating systems like pSOS and Windows CE, less
for desktop machines.

Ralf