Re: [2.1.61] Reproducable console freeze.

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sat, 01 Nov 1997 11:46:06 -0500

Mathieu Guillaume wrote:

> I just tried a 2.1.61 kernel and had a console freeze. A bit more than
> that probably, bue here are the symptoms:
>
> If I type, nothing shows on screen. I tried doing "echo 'something' >
> somefile", and the file doesn't exist, so it's not just a display
> problem.
> I can still switch VTs and turn the numlock led on and off.
> There is no disk activity.
>
> This does NOT happen as soon as I boot. Last unstable kernel I tried was
> 2.1.57 and the bug was already here.
> The way I test this is with tin+leafnode (though I don't know which one
> triggers the bug, if any). I can read several articles/groups for a few
> minutes, then everything freezes (not always in the same place).
>
> I have pretty standard hardware, and this freezing does not happen in
> 2.0.31 pre9 (no, I didn't bother to upgrade).
>
> Let's hope somebody can find somthing from the symptoms, feel free to
> email me if you want more information.

Mat,

Please try to reproduce the problem, and then hit alt-scroll-lock to get
some register dumps. (3 or 4 would be nice.) Then look up the address
in the System.map for the kernel you're running -- this will show where
the system was at the time of the problem.

This will give us a pretty good idea of what's happening.

Regards,
Bill