Re: smbfs performance of 2.1.61 versus 2.0.31

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sat, 01 Nov 1997 21:08:42 -0500

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> I have been casually using smbfs in 2.1.61 to mount shares on an Alpha UDB
> running WinNT Workstation 4.0. Writes are dog-slow (~250-500 KB/sec), but
> reads are acceptable (~500-700 KB/sec.) given that it's 10Base ethernet.
> The real annoyance is that I cannot unmount the share from the Linux box!
> It just complains that the file system is busy, which I've taken pains to
> ensure is not the case.

Can you try to isolate the operation that's making the fs appear busy?
Is it just any write operation? Try doing just some ls commands, then
just some reads, etc.

As far as writing speed, current smbfs is slow with small writes, as
everything is synchronous, so the network overhead is a killer. Try
running a
bonnie -d /mnt/whatever -s 5

and see what you get. If you're doing block writes, it should be
faster. I get about 1.5Mb here (but it's 100mb ethernet ...)

Regards,
Bill