Re: Linux-2.1.62..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 16:42:07 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > Any comments/problems?
>
> Yes. Apologies for moaning at you, but we've now had two
> patchlevels now which haven't fixed sound/lp/other stuff,
> despite the fact that several people have independantly
> posted fixes for much of the most common stuff.
>
> I'm happy to collate all of these into one big patch if it
> would make a useful difference...

Thanks. I don't want a big patch that collates these changes: it's
actually easier for me to apply 2 small patches than one large one.

But what I _would_ like to see is patches in my mailbox that have been
tested - I follow the kernel mailing lists very spottily, so sending the
patches to the mailing list does not mean they reach me. I still encourage
people to do that (that's what the mailing list is there for), but please
consider that a "testing phase", to then later send the patches to me
personally..

Also, final comment: if you _have_ sent patches to me, and they didn't
show up in a kernel and you heard nothing back about why they didn't show
up, please don't despair - re-send them instead (possibly with a longer
explanation of why you want them in the standard kernel). I'm afraid that
some of my mail does tend to disappear: not because of unreliable email
per se, but simply because I get a lot of it and if I'm busy doing
something else I often overlook email I shouldn't overlook (but once it's
been overlooked I -very- seldom have time to go back to old email).

Linus