Re: can't read cdrom

Gadi Oxman (gadio@netvision.net.il)
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 09:39:10 +0300 (IST)

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I'm running 2.0.31...I just tried to read the IDE cdrom
> and couldn't...
>
> <4>hdd: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:260, ATAPI cdrom or floppy?,
> assuming FLOPPY - not supported by this kernel

Unfortunately, some ATAPI cdrom drives mis-identify themself as
floppy drives.

The Linux IDE driver used to override the incorrect identification
automatically when no ATAPI floppy drives were available, but we can
no longer easily know which is the correct media type now that ATAPI
floppy drives are becoming common.

To override the incorrect identification, we can use "hdd=cdrom" as
a command line parameter to the kernel.

Gadi