Re: Unclosed files in NCPFS?

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Tue, 04 Nov 1997 11:47:59 -0500

Tore Olsen wrote:

> This doesn't crash the novell server though, but repeat this 200
> times, and it will happen.
>
> Doing `(while /bin/true; do cat foo.txt > /dev/null; done) &' three
> times will leave approximately one file open per second.
>
> Any ideas?

Posting this problem to the kernel list was a good idea -- I got a
private message this morning with a good explanation of the ncpfs
problem. It seems that the Novell server ignores close requests that
come from a process id different from the process that opened the file.
Since ncpfs is tracking opens at the inode level, the process that
opened the file may not even exist when the inode is unused.

I asked the person to contact you directly, as he has some patches that
take care of the problem. I'll make sure this gets resolved in the
2.1.xx ncpfs code.

Regards,
Bill