Re: Linux + Win95 simultaneously

Ken A. Irwin (skorpio@solix.ntcor.com)
Tue, 04 Nov 1997 13:15:47 -0800

At 07:01 AM 11/4/97 -0500, linux kernel account wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Ken A. Irwin wrote:
>

>For the most part I agreed with your post.. However, I do have to speak up
>here...
>
>*I* do just fine without 95.. True, there are nifty apps for it.. But, I
>couldn't afford them anyways, I spend my money on a rare few linux things,
>and hardware.... Furthermore, I can find all the software *I* need under
>Linux, and when I cant then it's so strange I have to write it myself
>(i.e. it wouldn't exist under windows anyways).. I've had to do that
>several times when doing audio work (Thank god for Khoros).. The Gimp
>handles all my graphic needs..
>
>Not everyone is the same, I dont have any need for 95.. I respect (and
>pity) those who do... Dont presume that I'm missing out on anything, my
>computing needs arn't yours.. :)

Point taken, there was a time when I had no need for a machine that wasn't
a Unix box. I had a half a dozen AT&T 3B2s and a 730 windowing terminal.
I could do essentially anything anyone could do with that at the time.
However now my needs are a little stiffer, I need the likes of Photoshop
and Premeire to do what I need to do. however almost no task can be done
to my satisfaction on 95 alone, all my graphics are "re crunched" on linux
using cjpeg (tighter jpegs than any 95 package I've seen, and better
quality). I'd flounder with out korn shell, and cut and paste between 95
based telnet packages is painfull in comparison to X. A year ago I thought
of linux as a toy unix, my mind has been changed, It is stable, feature
rich, and serious competition for 95/NT, If the applications were there
I would have no use for microsoft products. The drivers are there, but
when I need adobe products to make my living and acrobat reader is it
for linux, I'm stuck with this 95 box.

Nothing erks me more than an OS that requires you to reboot for stupid
thing like changing a network parameter. Even on NT.....microsofts server
product, what a piece of crap.

I wish I didn't have to deal with 95, but I do.

| Welcome To New Hampshire | Skorpio
| Live Free Or Die! |