Re: Filesize limitation

Rob Hagopian (hagopiar@vuser.vu.union.edu)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 05:50:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Adam D. Bradley wrote:

> > Agreed. 4TB isn't that much anymore, why not just move straight to 128bit?
>
> Performance with 64-bit values is bad enough on 32-bit machines...
> when we all have Alphas and Merceds, then we can talk... ;-)

I was wondering about this... Might there be a way to "short-circuit" the
64/128bit stuff when it's a 32-bit (or 64-bit) request to a 32-bit (or
64-bit) filesystem? Then performance wouldn't decrease for the common case
while still providing the functionality of 128bit accesses.

I have other thoughts, but it's pretty early in the morning here :-)
-Rob