Re: AMD K5

Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:54:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Thomas Sailer wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > > Ok,
> > > as people have noticed, 2.0.31 isn't the greatest kernel ever: it works
>
> I still have that INVLPG problem on my K5 system.
>
> The symptoms are gcc -pipe and communicator hanging during
> compilation/startup (gcc without pipe works!).
>
> Am I the only one who experiences such mysteriously failing
> programs on a K5, or is everyone using kernels compiled for
> 386 on the K5?

On one machine I accidentally compiled a kernel for pentium when the
box has a K5/75. I had to recompile for a 386 w/o -pipe (with -pipe
it would hang for root, and segfault for a normal user). I'd say
the K5 up to K5/100 have this bug, but i'm pretty sure K5/133 and
K5/166 don't. Also, the K6 definitely doesn't have that bug, though
ones with datecodes below 9731 or so (31'st week of 1997) do have
a bug where kernel compiles will fail maybe one out of 5 or 6 times.

Simon Karpen slk@shodor.org
Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage