Re: PCI Strings in userspace

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 11:28:16 -0500 (EST)

Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:

> I read someone complaining about having the PCI-device names in
> kernel-space. I thought this would be an easy thing to fix.

You didn't fix the names, you removed them. Big difference!

When possible, the device names need to be moved into the drivers
that support the devices. The device names should be initdata so
that the names for nonexistant devices can be deallocated.
This saves memory, works for modules, and keeps _many_ people happy.
Just not you perhaps.

I think you broke some X servers too.

There really isn't much reason to do something annoying like this.
The Linux kernel is not bloated at all. (see NT, Solaris...)
The kernel _should_ grow as time passes, because the extra features
are nice to have. This is not a problem as long as the growth
rate is well under the yearly 60% hardware performance increase.