Re: Stops Pentiums dead (and how does Cyrix perform?)

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@bitwizard.nl)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 01:03:26 +0100 (MET)

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> We may be able to set Pentiums to trap on the lock prefix when in
> user-mode. User mode code doesn't (shouldn't) use this instruction.
> This should fix the problem. I have already grepped through the latest
> gcc c-library and none of that code seems to require the lock prefix.

I might be writing a device driver that doesn't need too many
kernel-thingies in userspace before taking the last hurdle of putting
it into kernel-space.

That's an area where I'd think "lock" could come in useful. Others
claim that "lock" is badly implemented to the point that it is not
usable, so that you're right that noone should be using it....

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a