Re: Progress on knfsd

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:21:38 -0500

Olaf Kirch wrote:

> Whoever did the dentry changes to knfsd broke this. The way it used to
> work was that lookup would never follow symlinks; by definition of the
> spec, it should always return the symlink inode itself. It is then
> up to the client to call READLINK and interpret the resulting pathname
> (and there are a multitude of ways to deal with that, BTW).
>
> The problem is that currently, vfs.c:nfsd_lookup calls dentry_lookup
> with a follow_link argument of 1. That should be 0.

Thanks to everyone who responded about the symlink problem. I've
changed the lookup call to not follow links, and all appears well now.
When I put the symlink back into the NFS export, it shows up as a link,
and statting a file in the linked directory shows the file on the local
device, as it should.

So, back to fixing the regularly scheduled problems in knfsd. Hope to
have a patch soon.

Regards,
Bill