Re: MSR driver

David Mentre (David.Mentre@irisa.fr)
14 Nov 1997 16:56:50 +0100

Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org> writes:

> Out of curiosity, what MSRs other than the pemo MSRs are people interested
> in dinking with?
Good question. For my particular use, only perf. counters are
useful.

The access to MTRRs (enable special memory mapped accesses, for example
for video cards. For more details, look at
http://ikcbarka.fzk.de/~martin/proform.html) would also benefit from
easy MSR access.

> The pemo stuff is a special case that can be dealt with another way
> entirely -- it can become part of task state and switched like the FPU
> is switched.
I entirely agree with you.

I have collected various hardware counters information (Alpha 21064
under Digital Unix and MIPS R10000 under IRIX) available at:

http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/linux-counters/

If anybody has other CPU specific information (PPC, UltraSparc ?), I
would be glad to put it on the page.

Any comment ?

d.

--