Re: Cyrix patch : Proposal?

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 20:05:18 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Mike Jagdis wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, James Mastros wrote:
>
> > Simply fix existing usage, and add a comment to main.c
> > (where the varable is defined).
>
> Murphy's Law. Who searhes out the _definition_ to check for comments?
> It's just a variable and grepping for an example _usage_ is likely.

Then that's too bad for people who write bad code. There isn't anything we
can do about it; unfornatly there is no place to document structures, what
you can call from where (from interupt, non-blocking), etc. In general, you
should assume that the value of a varable can change without notice anyway.

> > Wouldn't you have to go to the bother of setting up page-tables then not
> > using them if we do it thatway (IE do we need pagetables to get to the point
> > that we detect the 6x86 and start doing the VSPM thing)? Can we recover the
> > space of the pagetables later?
>
> The VSPM set up happens in the same place as the 4MB global page set
> up which happens in the same place as traditional page set up.
[snip]

OK. I was wron on this count. I got that from sombody else's post on the
subject... a bad thing to do, I know.

> Mike

-=- James Mastros
---
When the annals of distributed computing are written, and the name 'Bovine'
appears in there, I can say "Hey, I was a part of that, I checked .0012% of
the keyspace".
-=- Brian Wilson <wilsonb@mindspring.net>
Go to www.distributed.net before I come make you!