Re: smb fix no-go...

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 09:52:44 -0500

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> Unfortunately (or, fortunately, depending upon one's degree of
> Microsoft-phobia) I do not have a Win95 installation available here.
> Someone else will have to report back on this.

I'd say you were fortunate ;-)

> Others on the list have commented that all SMB servers reflect a zero file
> size until after close. This tends to support my guess that we're seeing
> a race with the kernel inode ageing.

I checked with the Win NT server here, and it appears to update the file
size as the writing progresses. After each write call smbfs refreshes
the inode, so assuming that the server returns the correct size, the
inode is up-to-date when the writing finishes. But if server is
reporting size 0 for each refresh, as it appears to be doing under Win
3.1, then we need to get the correct size before the file can be read.

Regards,
Bill