Re: smb fix no-go...

Sun, 16 Nov 97 00:47:52 +1000

>Others on the list have commented that all SMB servers reflect a zero file
>size until after close. This tends to support my guess that we're seeing
>a race with the kernel inode ageing.

My experience with NT and OS/2 systems has been that they generally
don't update the size of the file until either the file is closed, or
another process tries to read past the stated end of the file (in which
case the reported file size will always be at least as great as the amount
read).
Don't rely on the file size being 0 until close. Don't rely on anything
other than the file containing >= X bytes (where X is the file size
returned by SMB).