Re: Back in Production mode Again...

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 15:13:57 -0600 (CST)

On 15-Nov-97 Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer wrote:

> Hello Doug,
>
> Thank you for providing this simple script.
> I had at one time received the SIG11 response quite
> regularly . I replaced the memory some time ago &
> now the SIG?? doesn't show up very often, But the very
> first grep run thru showed up a differance , so I guess
> I still have a memory problem of some type.
>
> Is there a chance that the bios memory timing may be off ?
> Or is it, If they were off there'd be a lot more difficulties ?

Yes, there is a chance. Here is the typical list of things I check when
there are memory errors occuring:

1) Bad CPU fan
2) Bad CPU (could be because a fan went bad before and there was latent CPU
damage, internal CPU cache can also be at fault so you can try disabling it
in the BIOS)
3) Bad Cache (you can try slowing down your cache timings and disabling
cache to see if the problem goes away)
4) Bad RAM (you can try slowing it down in the BIOS, or try replacement
SIMMs if you have them handy)
5) Bad motherboard, swap it out for another.

If none of the above fixes your problem, you need to replace that system
with one that works :)

> Tia, JimL
>
>PS: I don't have an ADAPTEC I use NCR's ... So it isn't that.

Sorry, I thought you had said 2940 in your original email, but I wasn't
actually looking at it the first time I responded, so my mistake. However,
the same still holds true for the NCR cards :)

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: 15-Nov-97
Time: 15:13:58