Re: knfsd works, sort of.

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:52:18 -0500

Greg Alexander wrote:

> well, I have this 386 that I use for testing that netboots off of my real
> machine (running 2.0.32-5/unfsd2.2beta26). I booted it up 2.1.63 with
> nfsd_63-patch.gz...using the user-land utilities from linux-nfs-0.4.21.
> Anyways, it's got a local HD under /D (an MSDOS partition). I can
> reexport this one just fine. even writable. performance isn't great, but
> it's not bad for a 386. If you want, I can do benchmarks and stresstests
> and whatever.

I think by default knfsd does sync writes. Enabling async should speed
things up.

> When copying a largish file (6M) from the harddrive in the 386, at
> the end of the copy, I get this error:
> Nov 16 18:12:20 barn kernel: nfsd_d_validate: invalid address c021d750
> If I umount and remount the fs (so as to flush cache) and copy again, I get
> the same error again, with the same address. This doesn't happen when
> copying any other files on that fs (the others are all less than 300k,
> though).

The "invalid address" message means that a filehandle contained a dentry
pointer that appeared to be an invalid kernel address. The test is that
addresses must lie between PAGE_OFFSET and PAGE_OFFSET + num_physpages
<< PAGESHIFT. If it's really a bad address, then something messed up the
filehandle.

> Possibly related, I get this message when knfs inits:
> Nov 16 17:50:37 barn kernel: lockd_up: no pid, 2 users??

This one means that the lock daemon didn't start, even though two
clients wanted it.

> Also, right after running init (probably in my bootscript where it mounts
> my computer's / as /root so it can use /usr and whatnot), I get the
> following messages (with a considerable delay while timing out all those
> times):
>
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn last message repeated 3 times
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn last message repeated 3 times
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: lockd_up: makesock failed, error=-5
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn last message repeated 3 times
> Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
>
> it continues on its merry way after that, though. I run mount-2.7f, btw.

Not sure what's wrong here .. maybe things are starting in the wrong
order?

Anyway, thanks for giving knfsd a test. There will probably be some
rough edges for a while.

Regards,
Bill