Re: smbfs problems in 2.1.64

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:34:05 -0500

Gordon Chaffee wrote:

> Bill Hawes writes:
> > Do you happen to know if I could rely on the read-only attribute being
> > set for an exported CD?
>
> On the disks I've looked at in the past on NT, the read-only attribute
> seems to be set. I don't know if this is always the case, however.

My current patch set for smbfs tests for the read-only attribute and
disables write permission for the inode, and then won't try to open a
file r/w. So it should suppress the open failed messages.

> No, no network problems. I've got two machines together on the 10Base2
> ethernet, and I can ftp and scp between the two. Now, I also cannot
> unmount the filesystem because it tells me it is busy.

I posted a patch for a bug in fs/namei.c that was leaking a dentry if a
lookup failed, as it will on smbfs if a file is busy (e.g. pagefile.sys
on NT). This was keeping smbfs from unmounting in some cases.

It's also possible that the connection failure is causing the unmount
problems.

Regards,
Bill