RE: Re[2]: Linux-2.0.32.. (OOPS) [long]

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:27:03 -0600 (CST)

On 18-Nov-97 Rodney Barnett wrote:

[snip]

>When I run the following under 2.0.30, I see no problems.
>
> dd if=/dev/hda bs=512k | dd of=/dev/hdc bs=512k
>
>However, under 2.0.31, 2.0.32-pre1, and 2.0.32-pre6, problems eventually

[snip]

>2.0.30 also had those to parameters set, but did not have
>CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRITON set.

[snip]

OK..the first thing to note is that things are working under 2.0.30, but not
under later kernels. Under 2.0.30 you have Triton chipset support turned
off, but not under later kernels. In order to narrow down the range of
possibilities, grab 2.0.32, compile it the same as you did 2.0.30 (meaning
with Triton support turned off) then see if the problem occurs. FWIW, I
also had some problems with the Triton support on a machine of mine and when
I disabled it, they went away (that was back around 2.0.30-pre2-davem, and
I don't know didly about the IDE code). But, in any case, we can't diagnose
a problem with kernel versions if the kernels aren't configured the same from
version to version (or at least it's very hard to).

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: 18-Nov-97
Time: 08:27:05