Re: Opinion re 2.0.30->2.0.32 in stable production servers?

BrianR (brianr@osiris.ml.org)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:39:10 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:

> OK, explain me then, why when trying to login on an SMP production
> machine under 2.0.32 I had: Fork failed or No more process in a telnet
> session. Control+scrollLock showed me only 200 process in zombie state.
> The last stable version was 2.0.31-pre10 with an uptime of more than 30
> days and not a problem until I rebooted to test 2.0.31 (a big mistake) !

I don't know the answer to this. However, due to problems with 2.0.32-pre5
on my machine, I decided to stay with 2.0.29 (where I was before). I got
patches from the LMP for F00FC7C8, teardrop, ne2kpci, and I had some
parport patches i've been running for quite some time.

I was unable to get the aic7xxx to work with 2.0.32-pre5 (it just resets
the SCSI bus forever) or 2.1.64 (locks me up hard).

I suggest you just get the patches for your current kernel to solve the
things that are problematic for you until the newer 2.0.x's get
straightened out. Watch out for the nasty ext2fs/vfs bug in 2.0.31 though.

-Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.ml.org
bristucc@baynetworks.com
bristucc@cs.uml.edu