Re: 2.0.32 panic

Thomas Wouters (thomas@xs4all.nl)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:59:19 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, John Robinson wrote:

> [1.] One line summary of the problem: 2.0.32 panic
> [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
>
> I'm afraid I didn't get much info out; nothing in the logs, no
> oops. Anyway, the machine froze leaving this on the screen (copied
> down by hand):
> Kernel panic: skput:over: 001a01ac:252
> In swapper task - not syncing

> This has happened twice, both times overnight when the machine has
> been totally idle (it's actually a spare development
> workstation/fileserver) unless someone's prodding it that I don't know
> about (but again nothing in any logs beyond home-time).

[SNIP]

> It's a RedHat system so the .config allows for almost everything as
> modules and I didn't change that, except that the drivers I need for

You are aware RedHat standard puts some /etc/cron.daily entries for 1am, most
notably 'updatedb', which updates the locatedb (that is, it recursively
searches your entire machine) and 'logrotate' which rotates logs around ?
You can try running these commands by hand and see if you see anything
interesting.

> It's the same config I had with 2.0.30 +/- any changes applying
> 2.0.31, route's teardrop for 2.0.31, and 2.0.32 patches may have made,

Hm, this probably conflicts too. IIRC route's teardrop fix and the one in
2.0.32 are substantially different, so if you have indeed applied them in
this order, and haven't reversed the .31 teardrop fix, this *might* be the
cause of your problem. I would at least advice to make a clean 2.0.32 and
see if it matters.

Regards,
Thomas.