Re: smbfs RO messages

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:21:29 -0500

Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> When openning files RO using smbfs on 2.1.65 connect to a share with OR
> access:
>
> smb_proc_open: //971101.LOG open failed, error=-13, retrying R/O
>
> I check of the code reveals this in fs/smbfs/proc.s:smb_proc_open.c
>
> mode = read_write;
> #if 0
> if (!(wish & (O_WRONLY | O_RDWR)))
> mode = read_only;
> #endif
>
> Removing the `0' constraint fixes things... but I'm curious as to why it was
> like this in the first place?

My current patch for 2.1.65 smbfs recognizes r/o files (using the
permissions in the inode) and doesn't attempt to open r/w. (I posted the
patch a couple of days ago here on the list.)

The commented-out code unfortunately breaks other things, and I haven't
had time to track down the cause.

Regards,
Bill