Re: knfsd

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 09:39:59 -0500

Michael L. Galbraith wrote:
> Do you see this too.. or is my machine broken in some way? What happens
> here (consistently) is that the first access attempt to an exported
> root (here I mean /) leads to a slew of 'Permission denied' errors where
> there should be none. The second and subsequent access attempts leads
> to the same permission errors, BUT.. they refer to my /usr partition!

Knfsd handles exports differently than unfsd, so you need to change your
mount scripts a bit. You have to export each device separately and then
mount them back into a tree on the client side. If you get a "permission
denied" error, it means nfsd was trying to cross a mount point on the
server side -- not allowed in knfsd. Once the exports are properly
mounted, mount points will be crossed on the client side and the server
will see access only within a partition.

I haven't tried exporting a root directory (I'm running knfsd on the
local machine, so it would be a little confusing), but have been able to
export several partions and get them remounted properly.

Regards,
Bill