Re: [sx]quake still segfaults with 2.0.32 and MMX pentium

Adam Wiggins (madman@zip.com.au)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:39:14 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Lorenzo M. Catucci wrote:

> Dear readers,
> I think this could be of some interest, therefore...
> I just have tried xquake again, after a kernel and an xquake upgrade...
> This is sillier than ever, since the program ran well the first time I
> launched it, but stops with a SEGV the second time I try running it...
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but this sounds like a problem for vhand's patch, which I
> understand runs only with 2.1... Maybe some more kmalloc tweak missing?
> I'll have to reboot in a couple of days, and could put in an instrumented
> kernel, if it might help some way...

I dont know why but i've had intermiten seg faults using squake
in linux 2.0.X kernels. Running 2.1.X i dont get the segfaults. for a
while quake segfaulted on startup continuiously with 2.0.32 even when
lotsa memory was free. I noticed qwcl tends to seg fault on start up if
less then 8mg of memory is free but killing X free's up enough to run in
straight after.
I have a MMX 200 dual with one cpu runnning non SMP kernels and a
matrox millenium vga card. Worth noting also that the segfault was in svga
and the same happened with any programs using svgalib in 2.0.X kernels
boot a 2.1.X kernel and the segfault goes. NO idea why
Cheers Adam