Re: IRQs for 3rd and 4th serial ports as config options (final patch.)

Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@creighton.edu)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:49:53 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Isaac Connor wrote:

> > I still think the patch is a bad idea. We should be moving towards more
> > run-time configuration, not less. The right way to set IRQ's is with
> > the setserial command, not by compile-time configuration.
>
> K, this is all well and good, and I personally have no problem using
> setserial, but when I made the move to a 2.1 kernel, I read somewhere that
> we are not supposed to use setserial with 2.1 series kernels. Has this
> changed?
>
> I personally would like to just put an options line in my
> conf.modules...instead of running setserial..is this possible? (I'll
> admit I havn't researched very hard...).
>
> I'm just bringing up the should we be running setserial point. I think
> compile time config should be possible, but certainly not the default
> mode...
What about having as a variation of setserial?
ie. insmod serial <driver options>

> Isaac Connor
> iconnor@uwaterloo.ca

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One. We've handled the Borg. We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard