Re: fork: out of memory

Zlatko Calusic (Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr)
25 Nov 1997 08:37:33 +0100

Martin von Loewis <martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> > I would like to hear a second opinion on this!!!
>
> I think this is very reasonable. If you provide a patch, I'd lobby
> for its inclusion into the mainstream kernel. Maybe I'd make the growth
> rate for additional file descriptors larger, though, like 64, 256, 1024,
> 4096.

[Cc:ed to linux-kernel and Bill Hawes]

Yes, I already got to that idea (64, 256, 1024).
Otherwise we would have too many resizing in some cases, although very
rare.

Only thing I'm not sure at the moment is, would 4096 be a good idea?
That would require changes of some constants in kernel, which then
would require some software to be recompiled.

But then again, if Solaris supports 4096 fd's, why shouldn't Linux?

Can I have other's opinion on *that*?

At least once I saw an application that was running out of fd's when
limit was set (left?) to 1024 (I didn't mention squid :)). That was on
Solaris.

Lobbying looks like a good idea. :)
Thanks for the support.

Now it's my turn to break as little things as possible, I believe. :)

Regards,

--
Posted by Zlatko Calusic           E-mail: <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr>
	       Too much month at the end of the money.