Re: Possible Pentium MMX CPU bug?

Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@creighton.edu)
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:55:01 -0600 (CST)

I have a Pentium-166 MMX that showed the same result before I used Ingo's
patch (also dumped core. I assume that's 'normal' for this small program
of his?).

If Adam Spiers (and others) do not have this problem, could it be
inconjunction with other hardware in the system?

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Adam Spiers wrote:

> Ingo Molnar (mingo@pc7537.hil.siemens.at) wrote:
> > I think i have found the reason why certain applications (Quake, GCC)
> > crash on certain Pentium MMX processors. I suspect it is a CPU bug. I have
> > a testprogram that detects this bug/condition, and have made a Linux
> > kernel patch that is a first attempt to work the bug around.
>
> miles:adam~$ ./mwbug
> testing bug ... no Pentium MMX 'missed write' bug in this CPU.
> miles:adam~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor : 0
> cpu : 586
> model : Pentium MMX
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> stepping : 3
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> sep_bug : no
> f00f_bug : yes
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid : yes
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx
> bogomips : 400.59
>
> It's a 200MHz CPU.
>
> Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One. We've handled the Borg. We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard