Re: VFS

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:41:09 +0100

On Sat, Nov 29, 1997 at 08:35:46PM +0100, Felix Schroeter wrote:

> > - There is also a patch floating around that enables the kernel to
> > open files by inode number. This in conjunction with a modified INN
> > delivers significant speedups as the INN spends a large fraction of
> > it's time searching files. You may call it a broken fix for a broken
> > system though ...
>
> Sounds like a security hole (except if restricted to root, but innd doesn't
> usually run as root).

An inode still has uid, gid and permission information, so the files aren't
completly unprotected.

A far bigger problem in real live with this patch is that it doesn't really
help to speedup things like unlinking files, therefore it doesn't help to
speed up the expire. As I said, a good kludge but no real solution.

Ralf