RE: OFFTOPIC: Re: bzip2 for kernel dists?

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:57:18 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Adam McKee wrote:
[snip all the part vaugely related to the linux kernel]
> The succession of LZ77-based compression by BWT-based
> compression is inevitable as machines get faster. But it will take some
> time to replace a standard as strongly entrenched as gzip. gzip is an
> absolutely superb LZ77-based compressor - maybe even the best of its kind.
>
> How about integrating the BWT-based compression in bzip2 into gzip in
> order to speed the transition and make it easier?
>
> gzip -bwt? Just an idea.
Sounds good to me, but I would implement this in the reverse way -- have
bzip2 understand .bzip, .bzip2, .gz, and .Z archives (possibly just by
forking gzip), and have a -z and -Z option. Also, default to -z when
executed as g{un+""}zip, and -Z when executed as {de|""}compress.

(Note: I'm adding a CC to the author of bzip2)

-=- James Mastros

--
When the annals of distributed computing are written, and the name 'Bovine'
appears in there, I can say "Hey, I was a part of that, I checked .0012% of