Re: 2.1.72 dcache OOPS

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 08:17:10 -0500

Tuomas Heino wrote:

> After the first OOPS most programs that try to write something
> to the fs's will OOPS... and I up'd my puter from .64 to .72 because it had
> (less serious) OOPSes... after a few OOPSes all the progs which try to
> read will "hang" ... the odd thing is that sysklogd got some of the
> OOPSes saved ;)

Once something has trashed the dentry list, the system has no good way
to recover. So the first oops will lead to many more to follow ...

I haven't been able to find out what's causing the list to be trashed.
If you spot a pattern to the problem (e.g. "every time I use ppp I get
an oops within 10 minutes") I'd appreciate any further clues.

Regards,
Bill