Re: Console handling (was: Re: Let's vote for PnP on 2.2)

Tuomas Heino (tbittih@xgw.fi)
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:25:36 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > > Linux has never had different number of lines on different VTs.
> >
> > Are you sure? There used to be a comment about this in
> > drivers/char/console.c.
> > It said the feature was removed because `it's messy to have all consoles of
> > potentially different sizes'.
> >

> If so, it has been that not all the lines on the screen was used.
> Linux has *never* been able to change the actual line count on
> different screens.

Maybe so in the kernel level - I still remember switching between 80x25
"normal" console and 80x50 dosemu... that's just a font change, no timing
changes... (nowadays using svgatextmode - different modes for different
consoles would prolly be quite complicated with something like that, right?;)