Re: security warning

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Myr=E9en?= (jem@vistacom.fi)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:58:28 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Jeffrey Hundstad wrote:

> Isn't this JUST the kind of thing that belongs as a switch in /proc/sys
> somewhere?

Am I the only one concerned about too many tunable paramters?
Of course we can make this and a lot of other things
selectable via a a /proc interface for those who want to
change it, but there has to be a default behaviour, the
"Linux" way, that application writers can rely on. Avoiding
tricky design issues by making them tunable parameters is
sweeping the problem under the rug, and is even dangerous when
security issues are involved.

Johan Myreen
jem@iki.fi