Re: RPC and Kernel NFS issues

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:07:16 -0500

Christoph Lameter wrote:
> I am running a Debian Hamm system (glibc) with the newest tools etc and I
> am trying to test 2.1.72 in a production environment after having run
> 2.1.X for awhile as a workstation.
>
> Some of the issues:
>
> 1. I keep getting strange RPC messages on bootup although I am using
> userland NFS. (Kernel NFS compiled it but not used)
>
> Dec 16 14:48:40 deborah kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 111
> Dec 16 14:48:40 deborah kernel: RPC: task of released request still
> queued!
> Dec 16 14:48:40 deborah kernel: RPC: (task is on xprt_pending)
> Dec 16 14:48:40 deborah kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 111

A number of people have reported this problem, and it seems to be caused
by the portmapper being started too late. Error 111 is "connection
refused". Are your startup scripts trying to bring up NFS too early?

> 3. The Kernel NFS tools from Olaf seem to be abandoned. I was not able to
> build them under glibc. A while ago I used them under libc5 (Around
> 2.1.30) and experienced general flaky behavior. Is it worth an attempt to
> try again?

Do you mean the linux-nfs package? It's needed if you want to use knfsd,
but you don't need to compile the kernel directory.

Regards,
Bill