Re: Making module versions (Was: OFFTOPIC: binary modules, bad idea!)

Martin von Loewis (martin@mira.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 18:42:45 +0100

One-liners don't answer anything. If I just keep the .tmp around,
make will still remake foo.ver, because it is still older than foo.c

Linux-Kernel Mail Account wrote:
> Use a cp-if-changed then, keep the .tmp around to prevent that...
>
> On Sat, 20 Dec 1997, Martin von Loewis wrote:
>
> > > I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but, would a mv_if_changed not do
> > > the job? Ignoring the date and running a diff on the file...
> >
> > Exactly. If you have a rule saying
> >
> > foo.ver: foo.c
> > produce foo.ver.tmp
> > mv-if-changed foo.ver.tmp foo.ver
> >
> > then you are in trouble if foo.c is newer than foo.ver, but foo.ver
> > is not updated. It will produce foo.ver.tmp every time you invoke make.

P.S. Do you have a real name?