Re: 2.1.72/3: boot problems

Martin Imrisek (modulus@interlog.com)
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 06:44:38 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 20 Dec 1997 kwrohrer@enteract.com wrote:

> And lo, Myrdraal saith unto me:
> > On Sat, Dec 20, 1997 at 10:59:55AM -0500, Bill Hawes wrote:
> > > Try making CONFIG_UNIX=y instead of m. Someone posted an analysis of the
> > > problem -- it seems there's a Catch 22 because loading a module needs
> > > CONFIG_UNIX to communicate with kerneld.
> > For what it's worth, my system has been happily using CONFIG_UNIX as a module
> > since the capability was there. I get the 'ouch' commend about kerneld, but
> > after that everything works nicely.
> > You DO haveto add 'alias net-pf-1 unix' to /etc/modules.conf, though.
> I found out I had CONFIG_UNIX turned off, despite having done a
> "make oldconfig", knowing it needed turning on, and not even finding it
> immediately once I went looking for it with make xconfig... (At least
> grep didn't miss it in .config...)
>
> Did I really do something that stupid, is make oldconfig unreliable, or
> was somebody dumb enough to make it default to "N"? I'm leaning towards
> the second option, as there *were* things make oldconfig asked me about,
> but it was just a new uber-IDE-DMA option...
>
> Keith

Well, I tried putting the 'alias...' into the conf.modules file, and lo
and behold, it did work. I was able to get further into the boot process,
now however the boot dies when I get a Oops 0000 from ifconfig during the
boot, this consistently happens. Am I supposed to upgrade ifconfig or
something?

Martin Imrisek "I've done . . . questionable things.
imrisek@interlog.com Nothing the God of biomechanics
wouldn't let you into heaven for."