Re: /proc/PID/fd/0 design "bug"

Pawel S. Veselov (vps@unicorn.niimm.spb.su)
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:13:58 +0300 (MSK)

Hello, Lars!

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

>stdin of any process is accessible via /proc/PID/fd/0.
>
>So I guess you should be able to enter arbitrary text into any running
>program by doing "echo COMMAND >>/proc/PID/fd/0".
>
>This doesn't work. (2.0.32) It should work at least for tty based process.
>
>Is this a bug or intentionally?

/proc/PID/fd has rights of user.group this process is run.
So you only can affect your own processes. ( assuming you are not root )

Bye.

--
Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

--
    With best of best regards, Pawel S. Veselov (aka Black Angel)
       internet : vps@unicorn.niimm.spb.su ( mail,finger,talk )