Re: Memory leak in 2.0.33 ??

Thomas Schenk (tschenk@dejanews.com)
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:47:28 -0600 (CST)

On 22-Dec-97 Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
>> Hi all...
>> It looks like the swap cache bug. I have posted a fix for it many times
>> to this list and it was even fixed in pre-2.0.31-2, but things look bad.
>> Linus probably decided to keep the bug forever in the kernel. I suppose,
>> it is still present in the 2.1.xx kernels... If you have ram >= swap,
>> swap > 0 - be ready for crash!
>> You can find the fix (for older kernel, but it should be applicable to the
>> newer too) on Linux Mama (http://www.huwig.de/linux/mama).
>> Krzysztof Strasburger
>>

> Hmmm ... the win of caching pages recently swapped out should not be breaked
> by handle this cached pages as free pages.
>

> Werner

Can anyone verify that this patch should indeed be included in the kernel
or give a reason why it is not needed. This particular patch concerns me
since a large number of our systems do indeed have ram >= swap and we have
been experiencing a number of unexplained crashes during heavy load on our
systems.

Tom

---
| Tom Schenk            | Use Linux!              | All opinions expressed |
| tschenk@dejanews.com  |    Friends don't let    | are mine and not those |
| tschenk@theoffice.net |     friends do Windows! | of my employer.        |