Re: Oops with 2.1.76 on Alpha (maybe DE4x5?)

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 17:14:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> I don't think that 2.1.76 is purported to be functional on Alphas. I've
> been fighting with mine for the past two days. After switching to a build
> that uses one of Donald Becker's newer tulip drivers it gets as far as
> starting syslogd, then blows up with a kernel panic. I didn't have to
> update syslogd on any of the Intel/Cyrix boxes, so I don't really believe
> that it's the root cause.

I've had problems with syslogd since 2.1.60. The machine would make an
odd beeping sound and lots of exception messages would scroll past on the
logging console. Interactive response was way down (press some keys and
they will be actioned all at once in 20 seconds' time). I had a
suggestion to recompile syslogd against the newer kernel for that problem
to go away, but I couldn't get it to compile.

I just don't run syslogd/klogd on my Alpha any more, but I've been having
problems under X with some of the newer kernels (things like nxterm
zombifying and emacs taking an age to refresh).

> BTW, if you are using RedHat, what version is it? I'm running RH4.2 with
> the newer glibc-2.0.3 tacked on in _addition_ to the stock 1.99 version.

It's 4.1.

Tim.
*/