Re: Default character set of the Linux console

Tuomas Heino (tbittih@xgw.fi)
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 22:42:35 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Qrczak wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Tuomas Heino wrote:
>
> > There _is_ a way to force a "default" mapping from userspace - haven't yet
> > tracked down how to do that though... ("default" as in only_one_in_use?)
> > You could try fooling with svgatextmode/setfont/alike ;)
>
> Switching to ISO-8859-1 after ^[c is hard coded in the kernel, so I think
> no external utility can change that - am I wrong?

Not sure... maybe a switch-type-thingy could be useful? ;)

> > Please DON'T default reset escape stuff to user editable maps...
-------
[snip]
> One solution (very bad IMHO) used here in Poland is to produce fonts with
> wrong SFM table, which describe the font as ISO-8859-1, although it looks
> like ISO-8859-2. But such fake fonts can't be proprely used in Unicode
> mode or with programs which set ACM for themselves.
>
> (I'm not sure if the names "ACM" and "SFM" are used only in Yann Dirson's
> console-tools or more widely.)
>
> > FYI the current 2.1.xx vga.c has something like this:
> [...]
> > Hmm how to call "set_get_font(char * arg, int set, int ch512)" from
> > userspace with null arg? (setfont doesn't do that...)
>
> I don't understand how it is related to my problem :-(
>
> The only thing that should be done somewhere is to activate custom ACM
> after login, after clearing the screen with ^[c etc., so ISO-8859-2 or
> anything other could be the default.
>
> > /* let's repeat the point: this's the wrong way(tm) */
>
> OK - so what is the right way? Terminfo + /etc/profile? HOW?

Hmm... console.c has
case 'c':
reset_terminal(currcons,1);
continue;
Maybe we should have an escape to alter ^[c behaviour in this case?
(shouldn't hurt much as the current ^[c doesn't reset other stuff either
- like palette ( ^[]Prrggbbx ; ^[]R ) ... fonts are kinda like palette -
abusing either one makes the display unreadable but doesn't cause physical damage;)
So maybe adding an escape or two could be the way to go this time? ;)