Re: Processor Type ??? Of compiler or executer?

Aaron M. Ucko (amu@mit.edu)
28 Dec 1997 17:06:52 -0600

Tim Connolly <kb8eht@access.mountain.net> writes:

> This may sound silly, and its never cause a problem...
> But, when I am compiling a new kernel I always wonder
> when it asks: Processor type (386, 486, Pentium, PPro) [...]..etc
> If I am compiling this on a Pentium but plan on FTP'ing it and
> running this kernel on a 486, what answer should I give ???

You should tell it what you're planning on RUNNING it on (so 486).
Any kernel compiled for a 386 will run on all x86 platforms, and
anything compiled for a 486 or better will run on any 486 or better;
the differences among those settings are in performance-related things
like alignment.

--
Aaron M. Ucko <amu@mit.edu> (finger amu@monk.mit.edu) [Stark raving sane]