Re: Default character set of the Linux console

Qrczak (qrczak@knm.org.pl)
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 15:13:37 +0100 (MET)

On 30 Dec 1997, Boris Tobotras wrote:

> Qrczak> reset the map (officially it still should reset the map, yes?), and
>
> No. Tty mapping hasn't standardized in UN*X, so any application
> relying on terminfo on changing mapping have to be declared broken.

OK.

> Qrczak> to work now, at least for programs using terminfo (logout resets
> Qrczak> the map even after fixing terminfo).
>
> Is it? Never checked, but it should be trivial to check, which
> terminfo capability does it use. There are several init strings in
> (#undef terminfo) terminfo, and I'm not sure how applications are
> supposed to use them. Just in case I'd add \e(K to all of them.

I've added \E(K to every \Ec in terminfo for "linux" (there was only one,
rs1). Maybe there is another reset sequence, which isn't defined here and
logout uses its own default - I don't know. I have RedHat 4.2.

I've also added echo -ne '\033(K' to /etc/profile and now probably the
only place where I have ISO-8859-1 mapping is logging in (it's harmless as
login names and passwords are ASCII). The "reset" command uses terminfo
rs1.

> Qrczak> I would be happy enough if it becomes the "official" way for doing
> Qrczak> this - if I could say that the assumption that resetting with
> Qrczak> terminfo rs1 sequence will reset the map is obsolete, and if good
>
> In fact, where exactly does this assumption came from? I never saw
> any definitions of it.

OK, maybe it simply isn't defined. So I don't understand these protests
against changing the meaning of ESCc... Never mind.

So maybe changing terminfo and /etc/profile is enough; I'm sorry for
disturbing you, busy people. I wish it would be already done in some
future Linuxes, because now everybody wanting to use my fonts has to begin
with fixing them.

(And my terminfo for VT100 had enacs=\E(B\E)0, which I had to change to
enacs=\E(K\E)0 (I don't use VT100, but a friend reported than my fonts are
lost when using mc).)

--
                                 QRCZAK      #
    __("<              Marcin Kowalczyk     #*#